This accessibility statement applies to http://www.hmics.scot/
We at HM Inspectorate of Constabulary in Scotland (HMICS) are committed to making our website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018. This website is currently partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below at section 4.
We want our website (www.HMICS.scot) to be accessible and usable for as many people as possible. HMICS commits to an annual review of WLAG Standards to ensure compliance is maintained.
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format, or if you find any accessibility problems you want to highlight, please contact us at:
- E Mail: email@example.com
- Tel: 0131 244 5614
- Post: HM Inspectorate of Constabulary in Scotland, St Andrews House, Regent Road, Edinburgh, EH1 3DG
The Equality and Human Rights Commission enforces the accessibility regulations (the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018). If you are not happy with the way in which we respond to your feedback, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service which is an independent advice service and can advise you on what to do next.
HM Inspectorate of Constabulary in Scotland (HMICS) commits to making its website accessible in line with the accessibility regulations. This website was last tested on 22 September 2023 by Government Digital Services and this status was prepared on 17 October 2023, and applies to HMICS.scot.
The HMICS website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 (WCAG) AA standard. Reasons for the website not being fully compliant are due to a disproportionate burden claim to undertake the work and the HMICS website is currently undergoing a complete new website rebuild. The new HMICS website is anticipated to launch in 2024.
Not compliant with the accessibility regulations
We know some parts of this website are not compliant with the accessibility regulations:
- PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software.
- Images contained within publications do not include alternative text. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content).. This will be fixed in line with the timescales published in our Improvement plan.
- WCAG 2.4.7 Focus Visible: The keyboard focus is not visible on the magnifying glass icon at the top of the webpage
- WCAG 1.4.1 Use of Colour: Some links are not distinguishable without relying on colour
- WCAG 2.4.4 Link Purpose (In Context) and WCAG 4.1.2 Name, Role, Value: Some links do not have discernible text.
- WCAG 2.1.1 Keyboard: Users are not able to use a keyboard to access all content and functionality of web pages
Not within the scope of regulations
The accessibility regulations do not require us to update PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they are not essential to providing our services. Any new documents we publish following the publication of our Improvement plan will meet accessibility standards.
HMICS have carried out an assessment and we are claiming that these issues would be a disproportionate burden to fix due to the development of a new website.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared using a self-assessment by HM Inspectorate of Constabulary in Scotland, on 17th October 2023.